Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It's about time!

Like I said in the last post, I would write again when a 2k, a good practice or race came up; well all three have.

 It has been a tough last month for me since winter training is over and spring is knocking on the door. Reason is, we have lots of potential but, me especially, have not lived up to our expectations. After failing at my first 2k on the ergo of the year, I was pissed needless to say, not because I was way off, but more in the way that I let my team down as a whole while they all advanced to the next level. With a few bumps in the road like getting sick, and my back hurting, I worked hard and got back on it. This led to a new PR of 6:35; better but I'm not settling for that this year.

On the water, it's been a different story. I feel like I have been progressing technically trying to be long for the giants in the back. Trying to change the way I row has been definitely a small struggle. but I am open to the idea because all I want to do is win really. The water hasn't been cooperating that much but when it is flat, every boat has taken advantage of it.

This weekend, in our first race of the year, we will be facing Temple in Deland, FL as they finish up their spring break training. Yes it is only a dual meet but there is way more to it. Lets time travel back to Dad Vails last year; we knocked them out of the Grand Final when it mattered the most, and like any excited person, I sort of screamed it at their faces and let me tell you, they were not happy... Now that it is a new year, they have set themselves up to be as badass as possible by performing very well over the their entire fall and announced that their pod of seniors will lead the entire team to some good performances. So to start things right, they want to race us. And the things is, everyone is waiting to see the results. Personally, I hate not having an underdog mindset, so for me it's like last year all over again: get ahead, stay ahead. The work has been persistent in the boat and I don't see why we can't work them harder.

In any case, spring is announcing itself to be VERY entertaining!

Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment