Monday, June 20, 2016

First day of Summer and my California Life

Today is the first day of Summer Solstice, which means awesome trips, the much-needed sun, and slowing down the pace of life. It is also the first day of my American life, this time on the West Coast. Let me place into context that this is the third time I’ve moved back to the U.S. from France.


During the last two years, I’ve been living in France with my mom and going to school. Even though it wasn’t the easiest of situations given my girlfriend still lived in Florida, I cherished this time back to the place I came from. I think that having traded Paris for Melbourne (Florida) was a very good choice, but also cost me. Those 7 years spent in Florida made me more into an American, which isn’t a bad thing, but takes away from my native side. So when it came time to start my master’s in France, I was truly behind, having a hard time expressing myself verbally and not using the right syntax. Through each month being there, I’ve been able to bring my French level back to an equilibrium with my American level.



It wasn’t easy saying goodbye to my French life though. Going to school, literally having fun at work, training with some of my best friends, and getting to pop in and out one of the best cities in the World. I loved cycling everywhere I went, living on an island, being part of the French Institute of Sport, because every one of those things are special to France. While I’m moving away from that life, I’m sort of bringing it with me to California to start something new. Luckily, we are right next to the most European city in the U.S.: San Francisco!

It does seem like I haven’t stopped moving from one place to another, but isn’t that what everybody tells us to do in our 20’s? Yes I’m sort of settling down, for now, but the main reason for coming to California is to finally live with Emily. We’ve put up with a mighty distance relationship including a 6-hour time difference and not much time together. It wasn’t easy, but it’s over now. Another reason for coming out West is to search for gold. I’m just kidding, this isn’t 1850! The Bay Area is full of start-ups and other opportunities for sport science, which makes me super excited.

I can't stop thinking about how lucky am I to have such an insanely great group of people that surrounded me every day. Without them, this experience would have been dull. I got to make new friends as well as reconnect with my old ones. The opportunities with them have been stellar from spending 20hrs in London to a weekend in Vilnius as well as traveling France for rowing. 

On the rowing side, the past two seasons were completely different from one another, but allowed me to learn about how performance isn’t only about training and includes adapted approaches based on your situation. I’ve rowed and raced about every type of boat possible with some really good rowers. I think I’ve evolved into a better all around athlete and need to focus more on my power application. At least that is what has been a negative factor in my training. I am not sure about what this year has planned for me, but once I figure out which club I’ll join, it won’t go unnoticed.


One door closes and another one opens, that’s the only way I can describe this transition. I’m excited for the future and wish you all a great summer. I’ll be hitting up Hawaii for now. Enjoy.


Much love.

3 comments:

  1. So well written! I know your parents are super proud of the amazing man you are growing into!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Scott,

    I found a GoPro at kalapaki beach on Kauai, by the Marriott on 6-29-16. The wifi for it had your name on it, so I google searched and came across your site. is this yours?? I took a screen shot of you but I can't figure out how to attach it to this reply. text me with a description at 619-756-3923

    ReplyDelete