Sunday, January 15, 2012

Our First Week Back

People sometimes start a conversation with "I have good news and bad news"and this week I have the same thing to say, but in a different order. Unlike the rest of the schools around us, JU started back on Wednesday instead of Monday, which help all of us take our time to settle in and get ready for the new semester to start, and of course practice at the Neegard Rowing Center.

To begin the winter training at the boathouse, we started with a 30 min ergo test. We have done this a few time over the period of this year to see where each rower is in his fitness and power so that they know what to work on. It definitely works and doesn't hide who hasn't done the work over break. But nothing always goes as planned. I usually try not to use excuses because they are demeaning and worthless but this time I believe it is valid. My choice of playing ultimate the day before made my body the sorest it has ever felt, to the point where erging the next few days was torture. Yes, my result was extremely disappointing as I wanted to show how much time and effort I have included into my winter break. No one was happy, especially the coaches, but I had something to prove this week.

As the week went on, I tried my best to make every practice as good as possible as my redemption was soaring quickly towards us. Saturday finally came; it is funny because I never usually look forward to a test, but with nothing else to lose, I couldn't wait any longer. Knowing a few days before that a second 6k was added to the practice for volume did not bother me one bit because I think of one piece at a time, which was my plan for my 6k ergo test: 2k-2k-2k. With a plan engraved in mind and a race preview on my run to practice, I was totally ready. Starting with an easy 1:49 to see where I stood. Entering the middle 2k, I dropped to 1:48. Finishing the last 2k, I started with 1:47 but couldn't keep a steady hand on it. My sprint was so late that I almost wasn't able to beat my last time. With a 1:47.9, I PRed this season after a break. I am pretty content but now it's time to get into the hard hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment