Friday, May 18, 2012

Moving On

So that was different. This past season was very very strange to me, but something I can build off of for the ones to come. I will admit that I am pretty disappointed with our final result as a boat and a team. On the other hand, I am super excited about the depth of next year's program and the mindset. I'm sure things will be different and I know that I will make sure to bring some leadership to this young group.



Dad Vails seemed different this year for some reason, sort of small and empty compared to last year, but still fast. The heats were not hard and the minds were calm, but semis were completely different. Surprises like Grand Valley not moving on and us getting beat out of the final by 0.2 seconds were not fun to think about. I think as a boat we weren't ready for a B final, so when the time came, mentally and physically, we weren't there. I don't doubt at all that no one tried though. All of this felt like an abrupt stop in the road.

Now that I'm back in Melbourne, I can focus on the summer. Coming off a long trip and tough racing, I've had to take some days off, I am back in the single. It's fun because my high school team who is training for nationals help me out mentally by still training and showing up for practice. And they moved to a better body of water which is perfect for rowing. The plan is, slowly getting back into the small boat feel and rhythm, and recuperating actively so that I can be prepared for the next month for trails. If  things go as planned, I will be going to U23 trials to race the double and hopefully win; ideal but difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment