Friday, July 13, 2012

Club Nationals '12


Phew that was a rough few days, not because of my results but more because of being tired mentally and physically. When people ask me how my heats went, I described them as well as possible but it seems like I'm just laying out excuses, which isn't the case, I'm just plain tired. As we wrote my summer training plan, we decided to peak for this regatta with a good physical showing at trials. As I look back, I do believe that I peaked well at trials, and as soon as I got home to train for Clubs (a week), things didn't feel right. You are feeling a little disappointed but just trying to push yourself even though it seems dumb.

On Wednesday, I raced the Senior 1x and that was a huge wake-up call; yes the other guys are fast but I could tell at that moment, I was running on fumes. After the first 1000m, I knew I'd finish 4th so I decided to keep as much energy as possible for that afternoon's intermediate 2x. I felt ok when we rowed up to the start, and we actually had a pretty good race. The first half wasn't too taxing but the third 500m was a little difficult for us and is why we got edged out a little. We did sprint but the other boat had the last stroke before the line to keep us out of the semis. What is frustrating at these big regattas is that they throw random heats together which aren't always fair instead of a time trial. For example, our time was faster than two other heats' qualified boats by 20 some seconds. But what are you going to do?
I had all of Thursday off to relax and try to reenergize a little. So this morning was my last chance to advance and things didn't go my way. The initial 500m were great as I was part of the leaders but when it was time to dig and keep up with the deep fielded heat, I just couldn't.

I am finally done with racing for this summer and it feels good to watch some races and relax even though I'd love to be in a bigger boat and keep racing. I will stay here until Sunday and then head back down to Florida. I'll have a day to get some cleaning done before heading back to the homeland and get some quality time with my mom. I haven't been back in over a year so this is a much needed trip. I won't be taking time off at first and will work on adjusting my technique. The reason that this is so important to me is because I know how much it is holding me back, not just on the water but also on the ergo. I know my times don't match my boat moving skills so if I can improve both than hazzah!

Good luck to Mary Mosier and Matt Sobotka for the finals.

Only a few more days until London and U23 finals are coming up the next two days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment