Monday, December 19, 2011

19/12

As the days until Christmas decrease in size, the laziness and moustache increase. Every year it's the same scenario, we all get excited to go on break so we can relax and work super duper hard because we want to come back better, but let's be real, does that ever happen? You start out great for the first few days and then you want to go out, eat a bunch of crap, or go on a random adventure that will most likely get in the way of your training. "Dude, you always have tomorrow to train. You're fine!" is the usual response from your friends when you tell them that you should get 1 hour of erging in. This has somewhat hit me since I've been home, but not too badly.

I was speaking with an old friend from the SA team earlier this morning just catching up, and he reminded me that an athlete with as much experience and intensive training should be logging 160km no matter what and that doing what was asked of me would put me in the right spot. I guess you always need certain reminders to keep you on track.

After figuring out and actually getting presents and cards for Christmas, I'll be mounting the bike at the gym for a 60min spin class to get the legs going after a lazy Sunday. To follow, a semi-long jog to get the endurance working a little harder.

This weekend wasn't as lazy as I mentioned it to be. We headed down to the Canal (C54, a small race course) for the 2nd Annual Christmas Regatta to spend the morning with the current members, rowers and parents, of the Melbourne High School Rowing Team. Every year, I recognize less faces, but see ones that I have forgotten. After a few hours or food and discussion, some boats went out and raced 500m. We finalized the event with an alumni race which included many different years of Mel-Hi's rowing history and kick their asses. It was a lot of fun and I'm hoping to see a lot more alumni next year.

To finish off, it has now been 1 week and 2 days of growing. The hair is looking pretty good and I'm hoping to watch it flourish even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment