Saturday, December 3, 2011

Winter Training Commences

It is December 3, it's cold, and winter training is here. Fall is behind us, and to me,my only direction is up. I have been feeling desperate lately which is not a bad thing because it keeps me pushing and on my toes. Never in my mind I would have thought that these last few months were not going to be very pleasant. Let me explain. I rowed all summer, competed and stayed above the base line of being "fit", but that still wasn't enough. Coming in to the first week of practice weighing 187 lbs (I don't think I've ever been that heavy) and pulling a 1:49.2 6k ergo test was definitely not going to cut it. The rowing itself on the team is a combined effort so that being said "I had to get my shit together". Now being in the first days of December, our last 6k ergo test was how we transitioned from fall to real winter training. 175 lbs and 1:48.0 were the results of it and there is a big difference. Yes, the erg score is only a second lower, but it was less of a struggle at this point. That piece didn't exactly go as well as I planned, but trust me, I'm coming back with a vengeance. (I'm talking to you Brian COSMILLO!!!)

After a few days of working in Jacksonville, I will be returning to Melbourne with one goal: destroying my PR (1:46.9). I have two different plans I can follow and I think this year I will keep experimenting with methods of training. This next month is definitely not going to be as exciting as it is talking about it. I wish I had the availability to row the single a lot more this fall and during this break but I think it would only be a waste of time since the HS team probably won't really share and the center will be closed.

This break is going to make us or break us, let's see the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment